St. Vincent’s Hospital, founded by the Daughters of Charity in 1898, opened with the mission to provide compassionate, Christ-centered care to the sick and the poor of Birmingham, Alabama. The hospital’s mission statement reads:
“Rooted in the loving ministry of Jesus as healer, we commit ourselves to serving all persons, with special attention to those who are poor and vulnerable. Our Catholic health ministry is dedicated to spiritually centered, holistic healthcare, which sustains and improves the health of individuals and communities. We are advocates for a compassionate and just society through our actions and our words.”
As the city’s oldest hospital, St. Vincent’s began temporary operations in the three-story DeBardeleben home on the Southside of Birmingham, Alabama. Until St. Vincent’s Hospital, Birmingham, a city of 100,000 residents, was without a hospital. Once opened, the hospital grew as the city grew. Today, the geographical service area includes the Metropolitan Birmingham Statistical Area, including seven surrounding counties (Blount, Cullman, Jefferson, Shelby, St. Clair, Talladega, and Walker), which has a population of approximately 1.2 million residents.Currently, the St. Vincent’s Health System includes four hospitals (Birmingham, East, Blount and St. Clair), a diagnostic clinic in Shelby County (St. Vincent’s 119), several family health clinics and home health care services. St. Vincent’s Outreach Ministries include Eldercare, Hispanic Ministries, Access to Healthcare and Jeremiah’s Hope Academy. For over 110 years, St. Vincents has provided exceptional, compassionate care to the Greater Birmingham area. It currently specializes in Women’s and Children’s Services, Oncology, Cardiology and Orthopedics/Sports Medicine and provides a full array of healthcare services.